Thursday, August 24, 2006

In The Beginning....

OK world, I have officially started a blog. The purpose (besides random rantings) is to document, discuss, describe and detail my experiences with creating a web page. The purpose of the web page is to display my creative endeavors in the fiber world – more specifically my adorable bunnies, my skeins (and skeins and more skeins) of yarn, and my hats. Also maybe batts of blended fibers, though at the moment, any batts I make I spin. And the purpose of the display, the real and true purpose for all this, is to sell things. You see, there is a base, greedy intention behind it all. As in life, it all comes down to one thing (one thing with many names): Money. Filthy Lucre. Big Bucks. Green. Only, for me I do not think it is so much greed that drives me. I think it is more reassurance. A need to justify all the time I spend doing this stuff. All this spinning, all this knitting, all this blending of fibers, all this rabbit care… what the hell is it for? Well, if I can make money at it, then it has a purpose, it has a use, a value beyond just what I like to do. Sorry if this all sounds lame, and sorry to spill it all on this blog, but after all, that is the purpose of the blog.

So I have decided that I want to sell my creations. I do not need to make a living at this, thank God (or should I be cool and new age-ish and say “thank the Goddess”?). I have a job, albeit part time (20 hours per week) and part year (9 months). And more crucially I have a husband with a “real” (as in “paid a decent wage and with benefits”) job. So I do not need to pay the mortgage, or even feed myself or my family with the proceeds from my creative endeavors. I just want to do it. Maybe I want to spread the beauty I create across the world, though if that was my only desire, I could simply give the stuff away. I want to justify what I do by having others value it enough to buy it. To spend their own hard-earned money to obtain what I have created.

That is my purpose and that is enough for today. I will get to the nitty-gritties of the web site later. Now I am going to card wool.

No comments: